Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sleep training

We reached the BIG 1 year. Yay!


Between all the milestones that surprises us everyday we also have some major setbacks not so "enjoyable " , if you can call them like that. It happens when you sleep so good in your big cosy bed you hear the baby crying for you to wake up, to feed her or just to have a cuddle every night at the same hour like a Swiss clock not a minute late nor a minute earlier. And you are like: OK this could work, I can wake up 3 times per night at same time but then it escalates into every 2 hours and then into every hour and i feel like pulling my hair out.
I realized that my lovely little baby has sleep associations hence the waking up so often during the night. The sleep association would be me and my breasts. She developed this sleep association due to breastfeeding. She would wake up during the night and i would be there to comfort her.
Not to mention that i moved her in the same bedroom with my 4yr old and if it was fine at the beginning its not the case anymore.

The baby sleep website i founded really helpful. I read many helpful articles. Many advices from other parents that were going through the same baby sleep problems as we were. Love this website. With the help of many advises from this website I was able to train my old one to sleep on her own. Now I'm going back to the website because I'm training my little one to sleep on her own too.
I'm still breastfeeding her once a night. I will breastfeed her until she will wean herself out.

I'm not in any way imposing this website to anyone. I know there are so many resources on the web with relation to the baby sleep problems and what to do about it. 

17.03.2014 sleep training start

When I started sleep training Tyana she would wake up 6-9 times per night. I decided to move my 4 year old in my bedroom. So the three of us co sleep together. I didn't want her to suffer because her little sister wakes up so many times during the night.

 You need to be armed with tons of patience. As everybody would tell you, your baby needs you to guide her on how to sleep without her mommy's arms/breast.
During the first week of training, when Tyana would wake up I fed her only when I considered that she is hungry, based on when i last breastfed her. The rest I would only try to calm her down by offering her water and sing her a song. Of course it was not on her liking and she would cry and scream. But i tried my best to stay calm as much as possible.
Talking to her in a calming and soothing way. Explaining her as much as possible about where she needs to sleep and how good and safe her little bed is ;).

On the fifth day, of the first week of training i started to see improvement. She would still fight and cry but would wake up less - around 5-6 times per night. Breastfeeding only when i considered that she might be hungry. I gave water and sang songs for the rest of the times she woke up and try to calm her down.

During the weekend, 22-23.03.2014, i have seen more improvement. less waking up but just as much fighting.

I have to mention that i also applied the same technique for the naps. Here we have long way to go. Its so frustrating that she would just fight and fight and refuse to nap. But, hey i wont give up :)
For the morning nap, after almost 1 hour fighting, crying a bit , talking and playing a lot she would give up and sleep.
The after-noon nap is another matter.



That's it for now in the baby land.


Love,
      Angie




Stay healthy and beautiful and especially ZEN

No comments: